Monday, June 24, 2013

an even greater loss...





There are not very many pictures on this post... and let me tell you why.

On Thursday, the group, the interns, and I travelled up a very narrow road to the top of a mountain to pray over the city of Lima. At the top of this mountain is a huge catholic cross and it is a place of prayer for the catholics as they come to pray to Mary.

As we were driving up the narrow streets, there were many people within arms reach that needed Bibles. So, we rolled down the windows and were handing out Bibles and taking pictures. At one moment, the van stopped so a team member could give stickers to the young kids (that is the picture above).

A few seconds after this picture was taken, a man ran up behind me and grabbed my camera.
He started pulling on it and my instinct was to pull back (of course!). The struggle lasted only 5 seconds, but in the middle of the fight the camera hit my eye and left me with a swollen eyebrow and black eye. Immediately afterward my eyes started swelling up in tears. It was scary and I was in shock of what happened for about 10 minutes. So many thoughts were going through my head: What if he did get away with my camera? What if I didn't pull back? What if it was worse?

Then, after the shock faded away... even bigger thoughts started entering my head.
That man didn't get a Bible.
That man is still lost in his sins.
That man does not have my camera to sell for food or whatever else he needs.
And most importantly... he does not have Jesus.

He is lost.

The very next morning Matthew 6:19-21 came up on my computer:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves teasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

WOW! I was in shock all over again, but in a good way.
Even if my camera was stollen, I still have a treasure that will NEVER be stollen by anyone. My soul is safe with Jesus Christ and that is something that will never be taken away from me. What a priceless, beautiful gift.

Please pray for that man who tried to steal my camera.
I may have a black eye, but he is at an even greater loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment